Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all!



So I hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving. It was my first away from home and although nothing is better than spending the holiday with family, I still had a great time. I spent most of the day packing up my room and realizing how much stuff I brought to China and wondering how on earth did my parents manage to pack it all! For dinner that evening, everyone in our program headed to the Holiday Inn to get Thanksgiving buffet. We were accompanied by the Yale and Stanford programs (I made sure to remind them about the big game, GO BEARS!). Besides the dishes that you would expect at a usual Thanksgiving meal, like turkey, mash potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce, they also had dumplings, shrimp and sushi. It was a pretty fun meal, definitely not as good as home cooked though.

 

Things are winding down here. Today I moved out of my dorm room and now for the next month will be living out of my backpack.

 

Oh and by the way, right now I am in Lijiang in Yunan provence.  I am actually sitting in probably one of the coolest hotels/houses ever. We are staying in an old part of the town. We had to walk down narrow cobblestone streets in order to get to this old converted house. There are lanterns everywhere and we can actually see the stars (something which really hasn’t been possible since Inner Mongolia). To get to my room I had to walk across a mini-pond. This place is amazing! We have been here only an hour and we already know that we want to come back!

 

Tomorrow we get to explore the city and maybe climb a mountain, then the next day we go to the Tibetan region, Zhongdian. I think it has the highest concentration of Tibetans outside of Tibet.

 

It is sooo amazing here and I hope I can keep you posted!




No comments:

Post a Comment