Friday, June 29, 2012

Arrival

After some long days of travel, a few lost bag scares, and a lot of in flight mystery meat meals, I am in Kathmandu. Whenever you go to a foreign country, there is always a lot to take in, but one of the things, so far, that has struck me the most has been the driving. Before I left, someone described the situation as Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and after having been driven around the city from the airport to the Fulbright Commission, to lunch, back to the Commission, and finally to the flat I will be living in for the next month, I think I agree. No one is going to let you enter the lane, or pass, you just have to take it. You drive as motorcyclists weave in and out with precarious loads of people and goods, all while bicycles and people try to assert themselves into the flow or cross the street. Before coming here I thought bicycling in Los Angeles was one of the most difficult places in the world. I had it soooo good there!

So much more to say and so much more for me to take in. Today I am having lunch with a friend who is just finishing up her study abroad in Nepal and Monday we start ESL training and Nepali class!

1 comment: