Friday, August 17, 2012

The Himals

I find it fitting on the day I begin reading the epic tale by Maurice Herzog, of his conquest of the first over 8,000m peak, Anapurna, that I got my first glimpse of the Himalayas. I was leaving a hill top Buddhist shrine one late afternoon, when my friend pointed out a cloud that resembled a mountain peak. We laughed about it, saying how stoked we would be when we actually could see them without the persistent clouds that taunt us during this monsoon season. As if responding to our request the clouds began to shift far off to the west and revealed that what we thought was a cloud resembling a snowcapped peak, turned out to be a snow capped peak resembling a cloud! A triangular peak poking out of the clouds as the setting sun cast a shimmering golden glow upon its southern face, towering above the rice paddies and hills that stood in between us and it. We starred in awe, at what we assumed was the highest in the region, only to discover a few minutes later, as the clouds continued to part that it was only a minor peak of a much higher range. I have tried my best up to this point, but I have come upon territory that countless others have reached previously, words cannot truly do justice to the Great Himals.


Anapurna was finished within days and this past week I have been constantly climbing new hills trying to get another glimpse of the Himals.


I apologize for the delays in posts, but internet here is incredibly scarce. In a week I will be heading to Pokhara to start a seven day trek, where before I start I will have a few days of reliable internet, so expect a full update and lots of photos, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment