Saturday, October 6, 2012

Some School Photos

      I have found myself the past two days doing something I never thought I would do in Nepal, and something that I dread ever having to do at a job in the US, making graphs and spread sheets. It is the class 11, and 12 exams (referred to here as 'plus two' or 'college') this week and because I am the fastest typist I have been entrusted with copying all the handwritten exams written by the professors, onto the computer. I never thought that in Nepal I would be learning intricate the functions of Microsoft word.

This is some of my students at a recent assembly. Every morning we gather in the assembly space/ soccer field to sing the national anthem, which in infinitely easier to sing than our own.

Did I mention that the assembly space  / soccer field also serves as our tug-of-war competition space?
This is a photo of my 5th grade class. The women in red is Kalpana, one of my co-teachers, who also happens to be a relative of mine, not entirely sure what her exact relation is, but that is the norm here.  The students here are doing our daily warm-up. I choose a letter, and then they have to write 10 words that begin with that letter. After making sure that their words are correct, the students then have to write a sentence using each word.Which many struggle with. This is a problem throughout grades, students have been developing vocabulary since they started school, but their practical application for many is very limited. Even just from the few weeks I have been doing it I have seen good improvement with the students, helping them build their confidence and speaking outside of the text book's phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment