Thursday, January 3, 2013

Conversations with Students

While walking to class the other day I had one of my 7th grader students, Rupa, approach me and say what sounded like, “You are very haughty, sir”


“What?” I replied confusedly.

“Haughty sir, haughty”

To which I wanted to reply: “I am disdainfully proud of what?” Before I could come up with a proper response, my face gave away my complete and utter confusion and she tried to repeat herself slower with more emphasis on pronunciation.

“Hay-tee sir, hay-teeeee” Was she trying to make some analogy, comparing me to a 3rd world country in the Caribbean?

As I stared blankly at her, attempting to decipher this code, she repeated herself.  This time, raising her hand from her head to the level of mine, “You’re very haytee sir, you have much hate.”

“Thank you Rupa” I replied, “I am very tall.”

As she ran off to class I hesitantly said, “Namaste” now all too aware of some of the problems that can arise with improper pronunciation.








To be perfectly honest, I have no idea who this man or his incredibly cute baby are. They approached me at the temple and asked if I could pose for a photo with them, my only stipulation was that they do the same for me.



Myself at Manakamina Temple


Ian and I lounging around at our conference.





No comments:

Post a Comment