Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"Can we take a picture with you?"


This picture is of some kids who came up to me the other day wanting to test their English. At first, I thought they were trying to make fun of me because I'm American, but they just wanted to practice their English. The conversation basically consisted of hello, how are you, what is you name? But that's pretty impressive, considering basically all the Chinese I know right now is some of my favorite foods and where is the bathroom - the necessities. Their families all took pictures, of them with me, so I decided to do the same.
This has happened a few times during this trip. One day in the market, we had a student around our age follow us around for 15 minutes because he wanted to practice his English.  We get greetings on the street of people trying to test their English skills, a lot of it out of sincerity, but in more touristy areas you can tell they are trying to sell you something.  
We have also had people want to take pictures with us.  At the Bird's Nest, a family took over 10 pictures with us, rotating so that everyone got a turn to be in some pictures as well as take pictures. They seemed so happy, we couldn't really turn them down.
Tomorrow is my first quiz! I have been memorizing characters for most of the day but I think I have a good understanding. Wish me luck!
So please send me you address so I can send you a post card. I love snail mail, here is my address:

Vincent Giannotti
c/0 Pitzer College in China Office
Shaoyuan, Building 2, Room 109
Beijing University
Beijing 100871
P.R. China

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE reading your blog and seeing your pictures!!! Please keep them coming! However, I get that same feeling I did when I would read Francesca's emails from Tanzania: "hmmm... if I read between the lines here, what I'm sensing is... my cousin... in a far away country... longing for me to come visit..." - how cool is your roommate and is their room for a cot? :-)
    Love witnessing your journey...
    Miss ya, Vman!
    Moosh

    ReplyDelete