Saturday, July 28, 2012

In Gorkha

I arrived to Gorkha Friday afternoon after another Mr. Toads Wild Ride bus trip. The six of us were dropped off one by one at our respective host family's houses. As luck would have it, my family's home is four houses away from the badminton court!
This has been a true test of my Nepali, which limited may have been an understatement;  some of the crucial things about language learning is being ok with making mistakes, getting creative, and if all else fails, pantomiming. That being said, there has been a lot of moments of smiling and nodding and some long silences.
Today I begin going to my school. It is K-12 and is about a ten minute walk down hill. For the first few weeks, my primary purpose in the classroom will to be to observe and to assist the teacher in little ways. Then as I become more comfortable in the classroom, there will be a gradual shift to becoming co-teachers which I am truly excited about. I will try and post some pictures soon, but the internet here is very finicky.

No comments:

Post a Comment